|First lesson; Health & Safety lesson, introduction to the art department, expectations and rules.|
Lesson two, Poster on health and safety in the art room. Use pencil.
What is Art, Craft & Design?
-Definitions of Art, Craft and Design
-What is Historic and Contemporary art?
What is Art? PP discussion, researching your favourite piece. Looking at and discussing art using the formal elements. Definition of 2D, 3D and relief.
Researching artists and discussing their work.
Investigating Conceptual art.
- Using the internet to collaboratively explore the Art galleries in the North East and what they offer us....local artists.
- Investigating the periods of art throughout time.
Creating our own art timeline
Making quizzes and interactive games to explain the periods of art.
|‘What is a drawing’ |
- An introduction to new approaches and techniques in drawing pp
Discussion of mark making and ‘taste’ group discussion and sharing ideas. (Encouraging pupils to build upon their confidence and articulate their thoughts and opinions on Art)
- Experimenting with new drawing materials and techniques and evaluating them.
- Drawing from observation using line.
- Continuous line drawing from observation.
- Tonal ladders. Tonal shapes using pencil, charcoal and chalk.
- Textural studies, hatching and crosshatching, pattern.
- Investigating our senses, Kandinsky and responding to different genres of music.
- Scaling/gridding up a face and using tone.
- Researching an artist.
|Painting and Colour
- Organising your space, materials and looking after the art equipment.
Introduction to colour theory, new vocabulary (primary, secondary, complementary and tertiary colours., colour wheel, colour mixing, tints, shades complementary colours, hues)
- Thinking skills colour, moods and associations, chakras, artist research.
- Brush work and blending skills.
- Research into artist (Klaus Haapaniemi/Hundertwasser)
- Start to plan out monster /imaginary landscape/redesigned school building image.
- Proportions of the face, hair texture and skin tones in pencil/charcoal and chalk.
- Mixing and painting skin tones in paint.
- Investigating portrait artists research (Chuck Close, Lucien Freud, Freda Kahlo, Robert Arneson)
- Independent learning; “Finding portraiture artists I like which may influence my work” power point presentation.
- Expressions and emotions.
- Looking at different compositions.
- Creating a self-portrait in paint.
- Mounting and displaying my work.
- Investigating the history of the gargoyle. Independent research on the p.c what is relief art? 6 facts on gargoyles, find 3 images and draw one.
- Research page on gargoyles from info on pp.
- Reference to prior learning; proportions/expressions of face/exaggerating features.
Designing your gargoyle considering the relief.
- Note taking during clay/papier mache demo noting health & safety. Step by step instructions to self.
- Make relief gargoyle, paint, add texture effects.
|Poly-block printing & collage.
- Investigating printing techniques, mono printing, poly-block ( extension; lino)
- Research portraits and printing Dain, Andy Warhol and Papaya Arts.
- Independent learning; find your own portraits which will inspire your own ideas.
- Collage techniques; creating backgrounds.
- Planning and composition variations.
- Poly-block printing to create detail of face.
(Pair work creating a giant bag of crisps using recycled materials)
- Investigating packets of crisps through observational drawings and photographs.
- Looking at proportions and scale.
- Researching graphics and packaging.
- Investigating the form and structure of crisps.
- Research into Pop Art and Claes Oldenburg’s food sculptures and drawings.
- Step by step explanations how to make the sculpture, modelling and assemblage techniques, reference to health & safety considerations.
- Make the sculpture.
|Surrealism/steam punk drawing.|
Research into Dan Hillier/Surrealism.
- Observational drawings of found objects (skulls, foliage, organic objects etc)
- Collage using Victorian wood pints and advertising/Mexican day of the dead.
- 3 variations with a final idea.
- Add font if desired.
- Scan final idea and print onto cushions, t shirts and bags.
- Display of work in school.
|Surrealist Photoshop project.
Using the work from the previous project in term 2, collaged backgrounds will be created then photo shop techniques will be applied to layer scanned drawings into a series of prints and greetings cards.
Pupils will have a chance to sell these in school with the possibility of some work being used in a school calendar which may be sold to parents and staff.
- Pupil voice online questionnaire to assess the ks3 sow.
- (An art/photography trip for those pupils opting to study GCSE in year 10. Pupils will produce research pages and document their recent experience of art/photography work; Yorkshire sculpture park, Side Gallery, local Art galleries/events)